Copyright © https://mongoose-os.com

Mongoose OS Forum

frame

Help with local build on Windows

I am attempting to make a local build of a project under Windows 10.
After running the following command in the project folder:
mos build --local --arch esp32 --clean --libs-dir ~/.mos/libs --repo ~/.mos/mongoose-os

I get the following error:
make: *** /app\myDemoApp: No such file or directory. Stop.

I'm sure the trouble is with the \ character, but I don't know how to fix it. I can see that the following is being used by Docker in the failed build log:
nice make '-j' '8' '-C' '/app\myDemoApp' '-f'

I am able to use the same build command to compile the test project from mos init. In the log, I can see this builds using:
nice make '-j' '8' '-C' '/app'

Can someone help me fix the backslash or otherwise fix this? Thanks!

Comments

• BTW the same project builds fine on Mac and Linux. Please help!

• SergeySergey Dublin, Ireland

make sure there no spaces in the path

• Thanks @Sergey , but there are no spaces in the path. Any other ideas?

• nliviunliviu Romania

Could you post your full build log on pastebin or similar, please?

• nliviunliviu Romania

I assume you are running mos build in ...\yetiFirmwareESP32 and all the source files are in ...\yetiFirmwareESP32\AWSGoalZero\src. At least that's what I understand reading the log.
    There is something strange about the generated mounting points:

mount from "C:\\Users\\srobison1\\_work\\_fw\\fw_projects\\yeti_wifi\\yetiFirmwareESP32" to "/app"
    mount from "C:\\Users\\srobison1\\_work\\_fw\\fw_projects\\yeti_wifi\\yetiFirmwareESP32\\AWSGoalZero\\build" to "/c/Users/srobison1/_work/_fw/fw_projects/yeti_wifi/yetiFirmwareESP32/AWSGoalZero/build"

/app is ok, but, AFAIK, build should read

mount from "C:\\Users\\srobison1\\_work\\_fw\\fw_projects\\yeti_wifi\\yetiFirmwareESP32\\build" to "/c/Users/srobison1/_work/_fw/fw_projects/yeti_wifi/yetiFirmwareESP32/build"

Somehow mos appends AWSGoalZero in '-C' '/app\AWSGoalZero'
    Can you create a simple project to reproduce this issue and publish it?

Let's hope @Sergey or @rojer have an ideea.

• I'm suffering the exact same problem as the OP. I am using the following command, which has worked for the last 2 months, but has suddenly broken.
    mos build --local --arch esp8266 --repo $REPO_DIR --libs-dir $LIBS_DIR --verbose

• Comparing the build/build.log of a successful and non-successful build, I can see this:

Successful build:
    mount from "C:\\Users\\andrew.jones\\Downloads\\SSS\\myAppName" to "/app"

Unsuccessful build:
    mount from "C:\\Users\\andrew.jones\\Downloads\\SSS" to "/app"

Which eventually yields the error: /app\myAppName: No such file or directory.

• edited July 13

Found the bug and the solution.
    mos-tool/mos/build.go:

appMountPath := ""
            appSubdir := ""
            if gitToplevelDir == "" {
                // We're outside of any git repository: will just mount the application
                // path
                appMountPath = appPath
                appSubdir = ""
            } else {
                // We're inside some git repo: will mount the root of this repo, and
                // remember the app's subdir inside it.
                appMountPath = gitToplevelDir
                appSubdir = appPath[len(gitToplevelDir):]
            }

Move your .git folder away from your project directory (not a parent!) and the problem will go away.

This would explain why some users are experiencing issues with local build and some are not; their preferences for source control.

• Sambo007Sambo007 USA
    edited July 13

@andyjjones1

I tried your suggestion and wasn't as lucky.

Would you, or anybody else, kindly take a look at my problem and advise?
    https://forum.mongoose-os.com/discussion/2468/error-makefile-build-no-such-file-or-directory-while-doing-local-build-on-win7#latest

I am currently using VS Code, which is much more productive than mos online IDE - IntelliSense, quickly jumping to include files and function definitions, etc...

I wish invoking 'mos build --local' generates a Docker/Linux script file that we can edit in order to correct any error(s) and be able to run it manually later; although I'm still learning how to interact with the Docker environment.

I really like Mongoose-OS and I hope the guys behind it extend a helping hand.

Cheers...

• edited July 14

Yours is a separate (but similar) problem.
    When you build, you are getting past the mount from <path> to "/app" issue we were having (which is git related) and having a separate one.

I think you're correct that the issue is here:
    mount from "/d/Embedded/_Development/_IoT/_Projects/MgOS/ESP8266/demo-c/deps/mongoose-os" to "/mongoose-os"

Could you show us the full build --local command that you are using, including all arguments?

Just for reference, my (working) one is:
    mos build --local --arch esp8266 --repo $REPO_DIR --libs-dir $LIBS_DIR --verbose

I have a pretty strong feeling that something is wrong with your $REPO_DIR.

• I'm happy to report that I dug back into this today after seeing the successful reports by @Sambo007 and @ziarehman . Attempting the local build using the latest mos v2.4.3 downloaded a new docker image (3.0-r11) which I think was half the battle. I was then getting the

make: /mongoose-os/fw/platforms/esp8266/Makefile.build: No such file or directory
    make: *** No rule to make target '/mongoose-os/fw/platforms/esp8266/Makefile.build'.  Stop.

error as was being reported by Samboo007 and ziarehman. I then disabled the unused secondary drive (D) share under Docker->Shared Drives and applied the new settings. After this the local build worked as expected. Thanks for all of the posts and suggestions that got me here - hopefully this saves someone else some time!