Copyright © https://mongoose-os.com

Mongoose OS Forum

frame

JS API for deep sleep

blublablubla United States

Hey, how's it going guys?

I see that there's usleep on the js Sys API. I reckon that's not deep sleep, right? (because deep sleep needs reset to wake up)
If so, how can you use deep sleep?

Thanks!

Comments

• kennytkennyt Japan

i am also looking for this. how can we use deep sleep? :#

• There is an outstanding pull request: https://github.com/cesanta/mongoose-os/pull/265

Not sure on the process or status of it though.

• blublablubla United States

That would be a nice add, especially for devices with non-replaceable batteries or any device were battery is critical!

• I really need the uAmps deep sleep right now...
    about this pull request: is the deep sleep already in the core implemented. can we simply use something like
    let deepsleep = ffi('void system_deep_sleep(int)');
    deepsleep(10000000);
    ?

• SergeySergey Dublin, Ireland

Ah, let me integrate that pr, apologies for a delay. Will update this thread when a default firmware download get that in.

• blublablubla United States

Update your firmware. there is api_esp8266.js

For deep sleep, you'd need RTC functions too - they are not there yet.

• Any chance we can get deep sleep for ESP32 too? Thanks!

Use ESP-IDF SDK for now.

If you feel brave, send a PR for FFI ESP-IDF C functions to JS , akin to https://github.com/cesanta/mongoose-os/blob/master/fw/platforms/esp8266/mjs_api/api_esp8266.js

• kennytkennyt Japan

How do you go about using ESP-IDF on mongoose? can we add the deepsleep lib as a mos lib?

1. In C/C++, you can use ESP-IDF API as-is. Just include the header you want and call a function.
    2. In JS, ffi the required ESP-IDF SDK call, and rebuild the app.
  • kennytkennyt Japan

Is this how it is done?

GPIO.set_button_handler(23, GPIO.PULL_UP, GPIO.INT_EDGE_NEG, 200, function() {
      let test = {
        deepSleep:  ffi('void system_deep_sleep(int)'),
      };
      test.deepSleep(1);
    }, null);

• Hello,

New to mgos and IoT development in general, any help would be much appreciated.

I have the option of using either an esp8266 or an esp32 to implement a deep sleep mode, and I'm also struggling to figure out exactly how to do so.
    As far as I can tell the deep sleep JS hooks in the pull request mentioned earlier in this thread were all eventually folded into the main source in api_esp8266.js, but have subsequently been removed in this commit a few days ago, after which I can't find any mention of them, presumably because the developers wish for us to define architecture-specific ffi's in our own code. (Tell me if this is incorrect?)
    I've tried to ffi the system_deep_sleep method as described in kennyt's post, expecting it to work on the 8266 but not the 32, but I get the same error message on both platforms: "MJS callback error: bad ffi signature".

Sergey's post above says that to properly ffi things, I have to "include the correct header" - does that correspond to the esp-idf file that defines the system_deep_sleep method? I can't find that definition anywhere in the mgos source files.

Thank you!

• rojerrojer Dublin, Ireland

there is a second part to that commit, but it's to a different repo. here it is: https://github.com/mongoose-os-libs/mjs/commit/39a7f18c44ab245069a645197dfce4eabb635efb

• edited July 14

Thank you! - for anyone wondering, I got 10 second deep sleep on button press working by including the mjs library and making the following modifications to the default init.js on esp8266:

load('api_config.js');
    load('api_gpio.js');
    load('api_mqtt.js');
    load('api_sys.js');
    load('api_timer.js');
    load('api_esp8266.js');

// Helper C function get_led_gpio_pin() in src/main.c returns built-in LED GPIO
    // ffi() returns a callbale object for the specified C function.
    // As parsing the signature has non-trivial overhead, it's a good practice to
    // store the value for later reuse.
    let get_led_gpio_pin = ffi('int get_led_gpio_pin()');
    // Now call the function to obtain the LED pin number.
    let led = get_led_gpio_pin();

let getInfo = function() {
    return JSON.stringify({total_ram: Sys.total_ram(), free_ram: Sys.free_ram()});
    };

// Blink built-in LED every second
    GPIO.set_mode(led, GPIO.MODE_OUTPUT);
    Timer.set(1000 /* 1 sec /, true / repeat */, function() {
    let value = GPIO.toggle(led);
    print(value ? 'Tick' : 'Tock', 'uptime:', Sys.uptime(), getInfo());
    }, null);

// Publish to MQTT topic on a button press. Button is wired to GPIO pin 0
    GPIO.set_button_handler(0, GPIO.PULL_UP, GPIO.INT_EDGE_NEG, 200, function() {
    let deepSleep = ffi('int mgos_system_deep_sleep_d(double)');
    deepSleep(10000000);
    }, null);

I suspect that hacking this in on the esp32 will be much harder...

edited July 14

it will actually be exactly the same, except for the deep sleep call, which we don't have on esp32 yet (but soon will - i sent out a change to add it).

• Thanks a lot for this.

I am hoping to use the code in that pull request as a template to access more advanced deep sleep functions like esp_deep_sleep_enable_ext0_wakeup.
    I'm accomplishing this by patching two files: esp32_mjs.c:

void mgos_esp_deep_sleep_enable_ext0_wakeup_d(int gpio_num, int level) {
      esp_deep_sleep_enable_ext0_wakeup(gpio_num, int level);
      esp_deep_sleep_start();
    };

and api_esp32.js:

deepSleepExt0: ffi('void mgos_esp_deep_sleep_enable_ext0_wakeup_d(gpio_num, level)'),

Then from init.js I try to call ESP32.deepSleepExt0(0,0) on button press.
    From there I get: "MJS error: failed to exec file "api_esp32.js": bad ffi signature: "void esp_deep_sleep_enable_ext0_wakeup_d()": dlsym('esp_deep_sleep_enable_ext0_wakeup_d') failed"

Is there something else I need to do or any obvious mistake here?

edited July 22

ffi signature declares arg types, not names. this should do it:

deepSleepExt0: ffi('void mgos_esp_deep_sleep_enable_ext0_wakeup_d(int, int)'),

Thanked by 1wormyrocks
  • Any plans to incorporate deep sleep functionality for the CC3200?

nothing concrete at the moment, please file a feature request here.

• edited July 26

Hello,

Got deep sleep/wake toggle working on button press, thanks much.
    The next challenge is setting up the button as a GPIO after the button is pressed to bring the module out of deep sleep, as esp_deep_sleep_ext0 configures pin 0 with the RTC peripheral.
    I am trying to use rtc_gpio_deinit to configure the pin as a gpio again, as described in this tutorial and this one. However, the firmware won't build when I try to include rtc_io.h.

Thanks for any help folks.

• mjhrammjhram Iraq
    edited August 6

Hi, I'm new to mongoose. I'm not sure I understand how to use deep sleep as mentioned above.
    I tried to put the following in my code:

deepSleep(10000000);

but it crashed (system dump and restarted).

• Actually, the following code, sometimes work fine, and sometimes crashes

deepSleep(10000000);

attached is the log and** init.js**.
    hopping someone can help.

• Here is one that work on esp8266. See my note about edge detection after soft reset. Without safety check, it may go into deep sleep right after you issue "mos console" or "mos ui" command.

// Note:  mos console command reset the GPIO edge detection
    // so it may trigger without button press
    GPIO.set_button_handler(btnPin, GPIO.PULL_UP, GPIO.INT_EDGE_NEG, 200, function() {
        // safety check that button must remain low to work
        if (GPIO.read(btnPin))
            return;
        print("**------------------------\n");
        print("**------------ Deep Sleep ------------\n");
        ESP8266.deepSleep(10E6);
    }, null);

I have to use ESP8266.deepSleep(10E6) because Sys.deepSleep(10E6) gives me "MJS callback error: calling non-callable" error.

Thanked by 1mjhram
  • After update libs from 1.11 to 1.12, now it is not crashing. I tried multiple times even without safty check.
    I tried both ESP8266.deepSleep [load('api_esp8266.js');] & the method above using ffi.
    Thanks tomsim , but how did you know that there is ESP8266 and it has the method deepSleep?

• I looked into the module api_esp8266.js and discovered that it has deepSleep method what in it.