Copyright © https://mongoose-os.com

Mongoose OS Forum

frame

Newbie: General Questions

Hi everyone! I stumbled onto this OS by accident when looking to switch from a Raspberry Pi to something weaker / different. I have used ESP8266 with Arduino. ESP32 I was weary of considering support for Bluetooth wasn't there yet. I do have a few questions after looking over the documentation. To keep this simplified, I am interested in the ESP8266 and ESP32.

1. Can you program Arduino like code or is it all JavaScript based?
  2. Can setup Wifi be simplified (Not using USB cable) by creating an AP (Or BLE App), connecting to it, hosting a website and entering in Wifi credentials?
  3. Is there full hardware support for ESP32/ESP8266 like Bluetooth?
  4. Is there Ethernet support?
  5. Can I port over Arduino libraries like RFM69?
  6. Can OTA file be served on a remote server, so OTA happens from a server side push and not within the same network? (Think 1000s of field deployed devices)
  7. I cant find it for some reason but there was a server side application that could be hosted, what is the benefit of that and is there documentation on it?
  8. Most examples I see are of simple internet buttons, ect, is there a projects page to see different examples of works using Mongoose-OS?
  9. Im assuming multi-threading is not supported?

Thanks a lot for all the help. Guess its time to brush up on my Javascript!

Comments

• brolly759brolly759 New York

Bumpidity bump bump :)

• SergeySergey Dublin, Ireland
    edited May 20
    • Can you program Arduino like code or is it all JavaScript based?

Mongoose OS (mOS) allows either C/C++, or JS, or both be used.

• Can setup Wifi be simplified (Not using USB cable) by creating an AP (Or BLE App), connecting to it, hosting a website and entering in Wifi credentials?

Yes, this question has been asked many times already, and there is a working example created by @lee_trieu , see https://forum.mongoose-os.com/discussion/comment/2735/#Comment_2735

• Is there full hardware support for ESP32/ESP8266 like Bluetooth?

Yes. mOS is built on top of the native SDK, thus all capabilities the vendor SDK provides - mOS has it. Some of the functionality mOS provides is totally new (for example, RPC mechanism), and some is anuser experience of the SDK's one, like ESP32 flash encryption.

• Is there Ethernet support?

mOS currently does not add anything extra to the SDK's capabilities, but better Ethernet support is in works as we speak.

• Can I port over Arduino libraries like RFM69?

Yes

• Can OTA file be served on a remote server, so OTA happens from a server side push and not within the same network? (Think 1000s of field deployed devices)

Yes

• I cant find it for some reason but there was a server side application that could be hosted, what is the benefit of that and is there documentation on it?

Please elaborate, it is unclear what you're talking about.

• Most examples I see are of simple internet buttons, ect, is there a projects page to see different examples of works using Mongoose-OS?

Few are at this play list:
    Also take a look at https://twitter.com/torachitech2 - this guy builds cool stuff with mOS and Alexa
    There are other examples, sprinkled here and there, not collected at one single place.

• Im assuming multi-threading is not supported?

The short answer is no. However mOS, unlike Arduino, uses event-based approach and non-blocking IO. Thus, concurrent processing is perfectly possible. Also, ESP32 uses FreeRTOS for task management, so you can run tasks in parallel.

• Thanks a lot for all the help. Guess its time to brush up on my Javascript!

As I said, mOS is not strictly JS. JS just makes prototyping really fast and easy, that's why we're working hard on it. For example, for all Arduino drivers that we "adopt", we write JS bindings. You might want to read this thread: https://forum.mongoose-os.com/discussion/comment/2712/